During July 1940, air activity by the enemy increased around the Silloth area. Early on the morning of the 15th July around 150 bombs were dropped in the vicinity of the airfield, with splinters from one causing slight damage to a Wellington’s wing. After this bombing aircraft were dispersed over wider areas built close to the airfield. Camoouflage was used to disguise the dispersal areas and their precious contents. (Chorlton, 2006).